Time after time, we frequently run behind healthy diets and strict gym regimes to have better health and tend to ignore the importance of having a good posture. Well, having a good posture alone can lead to perfect health and balanced life. Improving posture is not that onerous but the results of it are stunning.
Why is good posture necessary? From emending the position of the spine to bringing back the lungs to normal position from being compressed, maintaining the correct posture has numerous advantages.
With a good posture, slouching of the neck muscles caused by a bad posture is reduced. Ever wondered that frequent headaches, intense stress on the shoulder muscles, shrinking of the lungs are some of the hazards of a bad posture? Well, a bad posture is a menace.
A good posture reinforces the areas with most chronic pains. Did you ever try to anticipate why people easily get tired without even doing much of work? According to many research studies, maintaining a bad posture leads to poor circulation of blood and worst moods! These are just some of the many health hazards of a bad posture.
What if I tell you that it is possible to correct bad posture and have a healthy life? Well, it is not so difficult and involves some daily posture corrector exercises and a posture corrector.
Before emphasising on how to correct posture, let’s first realize the difference between bad posture and good posture.
A bad posture covers two different aspects, bad posture in the standing position and bad posture in sitting position.
Bad Posture in Sitting Position:
While sitting, we relax so much that we forget what is correct posture. This idiocy habitually costs us extravagantly.
In the sitting position, the correct posture is the chin has to be tucked in and the shoulders are slacked off. The thighs should be in level with the knees which in turn along with the hip and the ankles should be at a right angle with the thighs.
The sitting position is scanted down to 2 different places – bad posture at work and bad posture at home. Let’s understand both of them discretely.
- Bad Posture at Work:
Jobs presuming prolonged sitting causes muscular and spinal imbalances. Working on the computers for hours naturally lead to a bad posture involving slouching and other effects as mentioned above.
- Bad Posture at Home:
At home, we generally tend to disregard the body correct posture most of the time and incline to sit abnormally. Over time, it becomes a habit unknowingly and we completely forget how to sit with correct posture.
Bad Posture in Standing Position:
We might ponder how can we have bad posture in standing position. For the correct posture in standing position, the shoulders are relaxed and the lower body is plunged. The head is exactly between shoulders and the spine is upright with the bodyweight distributed consistently.
If the person is not able to stand steadily with his feet little apart, he’s having a bad posture. Crook backs or slumped shoulders are an upshot of bad posture.
Now that we know how to recognise a bad posture, the correction of it and sustaining a good posture is effortless. This is possible with exercises to improve posture and a posture corrector brace.
Exercises to Improve Posture:
Now and then, people find it difficult to exercise daily and are panicky that it might involve extreme workouts. But that is not the situation here. With little efforts and constant zeal, one can comfortably correct bad posture. The exercises listed below when carried out daily show exhilarating results encouraging people to work out more often.
Some of the good posture exercises are listed below:
Chest Opener Exercise:
The chest opener is the simplest and the foremost exercise to correct bad posture. It releases the chest area which gets shrunk because of bad posture. With the flexibility of doing it anywhere, it involves the following steps:
- First, stand or sit with hands stretched right in front of you, palm to palm.
- Start inhaling while drawing out the arms in and out.
- Take some deep breaths and at this point, you get to feel that your chest is expanding.
- Squeeze the shoulder blades.
- Repeat all over again for a minimum of 4-5 times a day.
By doing the chest opener exercise regularly or as suggested by a physician or a trainer, the lung capacity improves a lot resulting in proper breathing.
The Foam Roller:
This is one of the posture correction exercises to relax the body muscles. This exercise is usually done after workout sessions but can be done as per our convenience. It acts as a great relief to the muscle knots. In a way, it massages the muscles and reduces stress.
The steps involved are:
- Take a foam roller and place it near the areas of pain or stress which are generally the lower back or the legs.
- For the lower back, place the roller under the lower back while keeping the body in sleeping position.
- Start the rolling movement by taking the support of the body.
- For the legs, place the foam roller anywhere between the knees and the ankle to the back.
- By taking the support of the hands, keep rolling,
- Repeat the process for better results.
As already mentioned that it massages the muscles, this exercise can even be used for that purpose. The foam roller exercise is also known as the towel roller exercise.
3. The Wall Angel:
This is one of the back posture correction exercises. It strengthens the spine and improves body posture. The main advantage of this exercise is that it corrects the bends if any of the spinal cord and makes it straight again. The steps to follow include:
- Start by standing with the back against a wall such that the wrists, elbows, the head, the back and the heels all of them should touch the wall.
- Raise the hands and take them over the head slowly.
- Now lower the hands such that they are equally aligned with the shoulders and should always be against the wall.
- Repeat the process for 5-10 times daily for best results.
The wall angel exercise is very effective in correcting the position of the spinal cordwhen it is done regularly.
This is one of the exercises to improve posture wherein doing it for just 5 minutes daily gives great results. There are many kinds of doorway stretch like the hamstring, rotator cuff, lats stretch etc. It is more effective to correct lower back posture.
This doorway stretches releases the tightness in the muscles, strengthens them and correct bad posture to a great extent. The steps are:
- Stand near an open doorway.
- Raise the arms and rest the palms on the doorway such that the angle between the palms and the arms is 90 degrees.
- Now step any one of the foot forward and hold it for 30 seconds. At this point, one can feel the stretch in the shoulder muscles and the lower back.
- Repeat for a minimum of 3 times a day.
The lower back problem is very frequently seen among people of all age groups because of various reasons. So the doorway stretch can help to reduce this problem effectively.
5. Corner Stretch:
The corner stretch is the best exercise to improve posture and the alignment of the body. The flexibility of the chest improves invariably with progressing time when this stretch is performed regularly.
The steps to follow are:
- Move to the corner of the room which is clear.
- Raise the arms and place them on the walls at 90 degrees and the body should face the corner.
- Inhale while gently pull the shoulders down and press the forearms against the walls.
- While exhaling, step forward with the right foot thrusting towards the corner.
- Bring the body forward using the arms and lift the chest and eyes slightly.
- Stay in this position and bring the shoulders down while inhaling.
- Slightly lift the chest while exhaling and reach closer to the corner.
- Breathe i.e. inhale and exhale for 4-5 times, take a step back and then release yourself.
- Now repeat the same process by bringing the left foot forward this time.
It is another exercise to improve the condition of the lungs. The corner stretch is more effective as the lungs get back to the normal size from being compressed due to a bad posture.
These are some of the basic exercises to correct bad posture. These can be done at any point of time but people generally tend to do them following their workout sessions. Though these good posture exercises seem to be facile, some people find it hard to do them. For such people, the auxiliary solution is the use of a posture corrector brace. Also, hinging only on to the exercises for bad posture isn’t a wise thing to do. So we require something better than those.
What exactly is a Posture Corrector Brace? It is a device used to provide support to the body and reduce the stress on the muscles to nurture a balanced posture. It triggers the muscles of the pivotal areas of the neck, lower back and the thoracic junction. Generally, the muscles tend to get rigid in some areas and frail among the others because of bad posture.
Using the posture corrector brace while doing the above-mentioned exercises amplifies the process of fixing bad posture. Some of the advantages of the posture corrector brace are:
- It offers firm yet gentle support to the body.
- It greatly reduces the pressure on the neck and shoulders caused because of a bad posture.
- The posture corrector brace completely restricts slouching of the shoulder muscles.
- It makes the spine erect and removes its bending which is a result of bad posture.
- It enhances the lung capacity which is greatly reduced due to slouching.
- Reduces the pressure on the joints and relaxes them.
- Provides great relief from headaches and stress caused due to bad posture.
While the posture corrector brace presents many other advantages, the main advantage is that its comfort level. It is made using high-quality materials so that people don’t find it heavy and difficult to use.
These posture corrector braces can be worn under the clothes anywhere like offices, at home, during workouts etc. at any point in time. The instant doubt in our minds is can you workout with a posture corrector brace? Definitely, yes! It is exceptionally comfortable to wear and in fact, wearing the brace during the workout sessions gives best results in correcting bad posture.
The premium quality performance and comfort levels are the reasons why it is used by kids as well. With the posture corrector brace, sustaining a good posture has become contended.
Some of the concealed benefits of the posture corrector brace are it magnifies the mastery of performing daily activities by hoisting up the energy levels and making people appear taller than before. It also tweaks up the digestive and circulation processes by releasing the stiffness in the muscles.
No wonder that with all these, the self-confidence levels in people using the posture corrector brace increase to a larger extent. So it is very clear that the simple and easy posture corrector brace assists in the overall development of the individuals by helping them both physically and mentally.